Monday, September 17, 2012

The Moon in Africa

Day 8.
 
My journal entry this morning:
 
"I see the moon this morning.  I cannot believe that it's the same moon that I see in North Carolina.  I love you God, the creator of the world."
 
The sun was up and it was shining brightly.  I was sitting outside looking out at the most beautiful view, listening to music, and spending a little alone time with my Savior, with my Bible open on my lap.  I looked up at the sky and saw the moon, clear as day. 
 
I counted the hours trying to figure out what time it was at "home."  2 am?  So..the moon was shining somewhere over America too?  I have no idea how all of that works, but what I do know is that God created one moon for our little planet.  I was staring at it in Africa and I looked at it very often in NC.  It was a strangely profound moment.  The world is so tiny and God us our tiny little planet safely tucked away in the palm of His mighty hand. 
 
 
We left for our ministry sights at the usual time of 9am (but not before we could get a few snapshots with friends!).
 
 
 
We spent a lovely morning spending time in homes praying, loving, and sharing scripture with new Swazi friends.  Our leader Scott accompanied us on a few visits, and his presence boosted our confidence a ton.
 
We loved home visits and took away a lot from them, but at times we felt we could do more.  But, we were too timid. 
 
The Holy Spirit dwells within those who have placed their faith in Him.  The very one who created us, who created the heavens and the earth, resides inside of you and me.  We are capable of so much more than we could ever fathom, in the name of Jesus.  When we call on Him and believe that He will do what He has promised, amazing things can happen.   
 
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:20
 
When our requests and desires line up with the will of God, nothing is impossible.  But, we must believe it first.
 
We went to visit with a lady who had had a stroke.  She was paralyzed on one side of her body.  After sharing scripture and few testimonies with her she allowed us to lay hands on her hurting body and pray for her.  We all prayed in unison, calling the Lord to heal her and strengthen her. 
 
By my account, she still couldn't move half of her body when we left, but God never leaves.  We asked Him to heal her, and He is the only one capable, and I trust in His mighty hand.
 
 
We spent the rest of the afternoon like all the rest - loving and being loved by 40ish amazing kids.
 
If you ever need to feel loved, or maybe you need to hear that you're beautiful, might I suggest you visit rural Africa?  God poured out His love on me (and all my teammates) through these children.
 
Why yes, that is a cow in the background.
 

 
I mean seriously, aren't these the most beautiful children you've ever seen??
 
My sweet husband captured some very flattering photos of me and my teammates singing songs with the kids for Vacation Bible School.  We always had so much fun singing and being goofy - the kids certainly appreciated it!
 
 
 

 
 
The kids giggled the whole time!
 
Before leaving I got a precious little snuggle from the sweetest little boy I've ever met.  He stole my heart.  More on him in day 9.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment