Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Meet Bubba and Siphesihle

Day 7.
 
I prayed this morning to my heavely Father for my purpose in Swaziland to be revealed. 
 
"I pray that today would be the day I see my purpose revealed here and that I have the faith to step out and accomplish my task.  Help me to love today.  To love like you do. Amen"
 
During my morning devotional time I was listening to some music.  The Lord whispered two questions to ask myself in my ear..
 
Do I look like You?
Do I sound like You?
 
 
Today, Joseph and 2 of our teammates split off to go help build a home.  I was bummed that we wouldn't be together the whole day, however, we all have different talents that can be used to show God's love and Joseph certianly was able to do that through construction (or digging, as it turned out).
 
This is Lindewe, the women whose home was being built.
 
The construction team!  Kameryn, Sharon, and Joseph.
 
Back at Bhobogazi..
 
A few people from our home-vist team went back to Mose's house.  He has become a bit of a friend and his family just needs so much help. 
 
In the past two mornings that we've spent with his family, we met his nephew.  His nephew was always sitting on a cinder block up against their hut because of an injured leg.  We found out that he had been attacked by a dog and it appeared like his wound was a little infected.
 
We were blessed to be able to bring him an antibiotic to fight off the infection.  My prayer is that at this very moment his leg is healing and he is able to walk on it again.
 
We were able to visit and pray with a few lovely women before heading back to spend the afternoon with the children.
 
I want to introduce you to a little friend that I made..
 
 
This is Bubba.  Well, clearly, that isn't her real name, but we affectionately named her that.  She was a cutie-pie, but she was very "sturdy" (if you know what I'm saying).  We found this little one just standing at the gate of the care point.  She just stood there and stared at all the kids playing.  We didn't know where she had come from or who she was. 

Everytime one of us would go over to pick her up or bring her into the care point, she refused. Eventually she came in and stood behind the building where they prepare the rice and beans. She would not speak, play, smile, or laugh. She had no reaction to us - just a blank stare. She had desperately sad eyes.
 
We asked around to see if anyone knew her or recognized her, but no one did.  Ultimately, we just ended up taking turns spending time with her and trying to make her smile.  The only gesture I was ever able to get out of her was a wave goodbye.
 
Little Bubba touched my heart.  I know very little about this little girl, but this is what I know. She had sad, yet curious eyes.  She clearly wasn't underfed, but she certainly wasn't "healthy."  She was very hesitant to trust any of us, which begs the bigger question of, why?
 
I pray for sweet Bubba.  I pray for her well being, for her health, for her hope and her happiness.
 
I made another friend this day as well.  Her name is, Siphesihle. We got the spend time talking about her life and her faith.  She at one point asked if I wanted to be her best friend.  The answer was simple, OF COURSE I did.  (I have actually written to her since being home and I am praying that she received it.)
 
Best friends!
 
My new BFF is 12 years old.  She lives with her dad, her mother died a few years ago from an illness (probably AIDS).  This makes her very sad.  She has, I believe, 3 younger siblings, whom she cares for.  She told me that she sleeps on the dirt and never sleeps well, it is uncomfortable and cold.  Fortunately, she is in school, so there is hope for her future.
 
  Right there is the best reason to support impoverished children.  They need to be in school.  Is it known that the longer a young girl stays in school, the longer she typically abstains from sexual activity, which in turn could curve the rising AIDS rate.  Education will also help to build up a generation who can make a contribution to the community and ultimately help bring the nation back to its feet.  And as we all know, education gives children a sense of confidence and value, which is so vital for them to stand firm and strong in their convictions.
 
I walked away from this day with a lot of humility and a lot of passion for what these kids go through and how much help they need.
 
I dont know if I felt like my specific purpose in Swaziland had been revealed to me that day, but I had a new sense of my ultimate purpose.  There are many many things in this hurting world to be passionate about, there are SO many ways we can help and show Christ's love, but at the end of the day, the best thing I can do for anyone is share with them the truth of Jesus.
 
 
This little cutie-pie loved my sunglasses!

It's not just the kids that are hungry.
 
 
If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.
Isaiah 58:10

No comments:

Post a Comment